Thursday, January 13, 2011

Force update Galaxy S India 2.2 to 2.2.1

WARNING !!! : Proceeding with these steps (incorrectly) may damage your phone and void its warranty. Do at own risk. I cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong.  

After nearly a month and a half after the Froyo update in India, I was really irritated by the reduced performance of my SGS. I waited for Samsung India to publish a fix but none came. Finally I decide to go the hard way and force update the firmware to 2.2.1 that was available in UK. I can confirm it has way better (superb) performance. Animations are smooth, the email application doesn’t lag, the phone book letter scroller shows and does not skip letters. Overall everything is smoother. On my device, consumed RAM memory is usually below 200 earlier it used to be 260+ with the same set of apps. Quadrant score is 1090. 

Documented steps for future reference, for my friends and me. The original steps at XDA-DEV where too lengthy and the file was not available for download without an account.

[WARNING!] Remember to disable lagfix application before the update if you use it. This will avoid filesystem errors that may occur at the boot of the new flashed firmware. 
1.Download latest Kies Registry Patcher. Note: It require Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or later version. 
2.Update Kies to 1.5.3.10103.102. Later versions might not work
3.Launch Kies Registry Patcher; If you patched the dll in the past with an older version of the patcher then be sure to launch new release as administrator since it have to revert the dll to the original version as the patch isn't needed anymore (Right click on application > Run as Administrator). 
4.Launch Kies and connect your phone; Wait for Kies to recognize it properly.
5.From the Kies Registry Patcher application choose "XEU" under the "Spoof Product Code as" select box. It pertains to the UK region.
6.Write to registry by clicking the button.
7.From Kies you can now update as normal. It would find the XXJPY (Froyo 2.2.1) update.
Note #1: Remeber that this patch will remain ACTIVE until you set "Enable Spoof" field to False! It's not a problem but after you update the phone it's suggested to put that value to false so the patch become inactive.

Note #2: Don’t mess with the advanced settings


 PS:
  1. This process does not work with Kies 2. Also don't update Kies if not necessary
  2. I verified that i can roll back to the original Indian edition if need be. (To claim warranty or if the official India edition is launched)
  3.  The Google News and Weather update doesn't work on this. I'll try again with my backed up application.


    2 comments:

    Rajat Johar said...

    Thanks for the update. I also own a Samsung Galaxy S phone and after the froyo 2.2 firmware update through Kies am having the same probles that you faced earlier.

    I have downloaded the patch after reading your article but am not able to launch it as it gives me an error everytime I click on the patch. I have a windows 7 operating system running on my computer.

    Could you please help me?

    Abhishek Dev said...

    Probably an anti virus on your system is blocking it. Can you specify what error you get. I too tested this on Windows 7 64bit. Also make sure you have the right edition of Kies. I just verified that it doesnt work with Kies 2.

    Go through the original article at XDA-Dev, (50pg long thread) you might find something that might be similar to your problem